Today is National Margarita Day, and if your like me, Jimmy Buffett's song, Wasting away again in Margaritaville is playing over and over again in your head. I love a good Margarita, on the rocks, with natural ingredients like real limes. So in honor of Margarita Day and lost shakers of salt, lets talk Limes or Lime Essential Oils. Oh and make sure to keep reading to get my favorite Margarita recipe.
The essential oil of these lovely green citrus fruits have some impressive benefits. The essential oil of lime is extracted from fresh lime peels by using a cold press or steam distilled method. The health benefits of Lime Essential Oil can be attributed to its antiseptic, antiviral, astringent, bacterial, disinfectant and restorative properties. Wow, that's a mouth full and with so many benefits, its no wonder limes are so well known across the world.
What are the healthy benefits of using this little green gem of an essential oil?
1) Antiseptic: Because of the antiseptic properties of Lime Essential Oil, it is said to protect and even cure infections. When applied topically, Lime Essential Oil can assist with infections of the skin, even psoriasis or rashes (always use a carrier oil when applying directly to the skin). When consumed, it may effectively help cure infections of the throat, stomach and urinary systems.
2) Antiviral: Lime Essential Oil helps to fights and protect against viral infections that can cause the common cold, mumps, measles and similar infections.
3) Aging: Lime Essential Oil helps tone muscles, and skin. It can help prevent age spots, wrinkles, hair loss and muscle weakness. Oh but wait! There's more! Lime Essential oil is said to help decrease cellulite. Yes, you read that right! Cellulite may be decreased by mixing Lime Essential Oil with a carrier oil, like coconut oil. Now that is something to celebrate. Margarita anyone? This combo makes a great natural deodorant too.
4) Bacterial:Ailments like food poisoning, diarrhea, infections of the stomach, and urinary tract could all be improved or prevented with Lime Essential Oil.
5) Disinfectant: When added to food, like guacamole to enjoy with your margarita, it can protect from spoilage. When consumed, Lime Essential Oil can help with microbial infections of the colon, urinary tract and kidneys. When applying externally (using a carrier oil), it can protect skin or wounds from infection and assist in the healing process.
6) Restorative: Lime Essential Oil can serve as a restorative by restoring health and strength throughout the body. This provides the effects of a tonic and is great for recovering from long bouts of illness or injury.
Lime Essential Oil Suggestive uses:
Yes, we know its 5 o'clock somewhere, but there are a few things you need to know before enjoying that cool, refreshing Margarita.
If you decide to enjoy a good, old fashioned Margarita, please stay out of the sun to prevent wreaking havoc on the skin. As wonderful as this little fruit is, drinking a beverage made with lime (or citrus fruits) can cause an allergic reaction or hyperpigmentation. Avoid direct sunlight and test for skin sensitivity before applying to a wide area of skin. Consult a medical professional if needed.
If you experience over exposure to the sun, take a warm bath with our Starry Nights Epsom Bath Salts, followed by Starry Nights Whipped Body Creme. These products are infused with our signature blend of Lavender and Fir Needle Essential Oils. Fir Needle Essential Oil is loaded with antioxidants to help eliminate free radicals and counteract premature aging, while Lavender Essential Oil is a wonderful regenerative, which helps calm the skin.
My Favorite Margarita Recipe:
1 1/2 ounces of a good quality tequila
1/2 ounce triple sec
1 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
Salt or sugar for the rim
Make: Salt the rim of the glass. I like to place the rim in fresh lime juice and salt. Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into the glass (I add fresh ice to the glass). Garnish with a Lime wedge if desire. Enjoy!
Make sure to follow @myrealearth on FacebookTwitter and Instagram
Comments will be approved before showing up.